Thursday, August 24, 2017

Obsessing

Obsessing - a reading (on YouTube)


Standing alone in a reception full of strangers,
Desperately trying not to engage the eye,
Only to have the lines enter unbidden,
Like the bored guest finger-banging his phone,
Until interrupted by the ritual of introductions.

Meet their eye and smile,
Listen to their name and nod,
Read their name tag to remember,
Look them in the eye again,
Forget their name as soon as they turn away.

Why do I need these people to like me?
Why do I need them to return my smile?
Why do I need?
Why do I?
Why?

No one asked you your opinion.
No one asked you to get involved.
No one asked you.
No one asked.
No one.

Stop pretending you are someone who matters.
Stop pretending you are someone.
Stop pretending you matter.
Stop pretending.
Stop.

Just stop.


5/17
© 2017 Edward P. Morgan III

2 comments:

  1. --------------------------------
    Notes and asides:
    --------------------------------

    I started this one at the reception to Karen’s award ceremony at the USGS this May.

    I was trying not to break out the notebook write down impressions like I had at other parties and showers. Then I saw the guy with his phone. That line came to me and my mind said, you can’t say that. Which meant I immediately had to write it down.

    Karen whispered in my ear about the ritual of introductions, to that credit goes to her.

    Most of the rest of it came to me either in the hotel room that evening or after we were home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picture Notes:

    We had a couple of ideas for this one, but this was the winner. One idea was a picture of the badge I wore at the awards ceremony in Reston in May. Another was a picture of an empty badge, worn by anonymous person. And the winner, multiple “Hello My name is” badges, lined up and ready to be filled in. I had to make the blank badges. We didn't have any in the supply cabinet that I could borrow. Edward pointed out the fact that, like the lines in the poem, the badges are repeats of themselves. It seemed to fit the best. The picture was taken at my desk in the morning. I had to wait for the clouds to move in front of the sun so I could get a softer light, with no harsh shadows. This one required only a little cropping and upping the vibrance a little.

    ReplyDelete