Tuesday, August 22, 2017

My Demon

My Demon - a reading (on YouTube)


I wait
Alone
Afraid
Not wanting her to arrive
Not wanting his suffering to continue.

When she finally enters,
How many will she claim
Before returning to the shadows,
Sated?

She slips in softly,
A lover sipping each contented breath
As she lingers for a long-anticipated kiss,
Her beauty both dreadful and vivid.

Terrified, he seeks my eyes for comfort,
Not understanding my tears
Until he feels the needle's kiss
And my face fades into darkness.

Life is fragile,
More precious as it’s ending.
The needle is quick,
The memory slow
But just as deadly.

Years later, the demon still haunts my dreams.


4/17
© 2017 Edward P. Morgan III

2 comments:

  1. --------------------------------
    Notes and asides:
    --------------------------------

    Another one I ran across mostly finished in a drafts file supplemented by lines from the unposted lines file. Started in 2008 (the year our cat Smoke died) and added to with lines from the daily postings in 2010 and then finished out in April.

    Smoke's full name was Demon Smoke. He came complete with spell-like abilities, including Friends and a minor Charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picture Notes:

    This was the sketch I did of Smoke, our demon, on his last day. This was a paper and pencil sketch, scanned and cleaned up in Photoshop. Smoke was restless that day, and he wouldn't sit still. Finally, he settled, and I got this. I've alway said that when you draw something you really see it. I wanted to see Smoke that day. I think this captured him. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete