Friday, April 15, 2016

Boy


Boy - a reading (on YouTube)



That didn’t hurt. Why are you crying? What are you, a baby? A little girl? Stop crying. I mean it. Right now. I… I’ll give you something to cry about.

Throw the ball. Throw it. That wasn’t a throw. What are you, a pussy? A homo? Now, throw it like you mean it. I said throw it. I… Throw the goddamned ball.

Only girls sit inside and write poetry. You live too much inside your head. Go outside. Get some fresh air. Get out from under foot. I… I said go play in traffic.

It’s not broken. Tough it out. Sleep it off. Be a man. No one likes a whiner. How could I have known? I… What did I tell you about crying?

Pull down his pants. We’ll shove it up his ass. Tie him up and leave him in the shower. Dude, stop struggling. You’ll only make this worse. I… Shut up and take it like a man.

How will you make a living? How will you support a family? You should be a doctor. A lawyer. An engineer. Get your shit together or I’ll cut you off.  I… One day, you’ll thank me for this.

Where are my grandchildren? Maybe you need more practice. You can always meet women in bars. Do you even like women? Are you gay? I think I’m a lesbian trapped in a man’s body. Don’t you dare talk to her that way.

Why didn’t you protect her? Why’d you call the cops? What are you, a pussy? A homo? Need someone to fight your battles for you? I… Dude, I would have taken care of that shit myself.

He lives in McMansion. He drives a Mercedes. He’s the CEO of his own company. What are you, a loser? A failure? What do you do all day? Why aren’t you a millionaire? I… If you were any good, you’d be published by now.

Why won’t you help me? Why don’t you support me? How could you abandon your poor, aged mother? You always were a selfish child. I… Maybe if you’d been a better kid, I’d have done more for you.

Everyone has problems. Everyone has issues. Get over it. You’re a man. It’s easy for you. You rule the fucking world. I… Don’t tell me, I don’t want to hear it. You never say anything anyway.


© 2016 Edward P. Morgan III

2 comments:

  1. --------------------------------
    Notes and asides:
    --------------------------------

    This all came out in one sitting with very little revision. I wasn’t sure if it was a story or a poem. I’ve settled on it being a somewhat experimental short story written like a poem.

    Partially inspired by Jamaica Kincaid’s “Girl” (with apologies to her and her very worthwhile, and short, read).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picture Notes:

    This is a combination of two ideas, Edward's and mine. His was the mottled background and male symbol, my part was of the boy sitting with his head on his hands. I think the two come together to make a nice statement.

    ReplyDelete